Sunday, October 10, 2010

Passing the Test

The other day I was standing in front of the bathroom mirror, minding my own business, putting my make-up on when my husband queried, "How can that striped shirt hanging on that hook have sun reflecting off of it?" My second response, (after the initial "Huh?") was disbelief that he was making me think this hard at 7:00 a.m. Still, I took a quick look at the offending shirt. "It must have something to do with the sun bouncing off the mirror over your sink and reflecting off the mirror on your closet door", I said as I swiped the mascara wand across my eyelashes. "Very good", he said. "Just wanted to see if you could figure that out".

Life with my husband is an unending round of Jeopardy. Luckily, he doesn't insist I put my answers in the form of a question but there are times when I feel I've been taking a twenty-seven year SAT test. He doesn't do it in a mean way. He's just curious about everything around him and he can't help himself from quizzing those he loves to make sure they're paying attention. For the first few years, I enjoyed the challenge. I liked proving to him that I was a worthy intellectual partner. Then it started to get a little annoying. Thankfully, we had two children. For the better part of the last two decades, they became the focus of his educational experiments. Now that they're grown, he's reverted back to me and sometimes (like any day before noon), I don't appreciate it as much as maybe I should. God bless him, he does keep me on my toes but I think it's about time for me to turn the tables. The next time he tries to trip me up, I'll be ready. He may know how the internet works but does he know what Khloe Kardashian named her baby?

No comments:

Post a Comment