Monday, September 24, 2012

Convenience Me

If you’re anything like me, there are certain tasks you hate more than others. There doesn’t have to be any reasonable explanation for why you hate doing something; it doesn’t have to be challenging or difficult, in fact, most of the time it’s the most boring, repetitive chores that do us in. Emptying the dishwasher, dusting (in general but particularly where moving stuff is involved), cleaning out the fridge, and folding laundry are all activities I could live without (and often do) but today I found out that I no longer have to take care of one of those pesky little tasks that I have always hated doing – checking my tire pressure.


I never wanted to be one of those women who needed a man to do those typically "manly" chores (with the possible exception of catching and disposing of any rodent that enters my living space), but I have always had a soft spot for any man who would get on his hands and knees with a pressure gauge (get your mind out of the gutter – we’re talking tires, people) and pronounce my wheels good to go. It’s not that I don’t know how to do it; I just hate doing it. I hate wrangling with that stupid hose, trying to read a gauge that refuses to connect with my tire stem and standing out in the cold trying to get 32 (not 29, not 34) pounds of pressure in each tire.

But all of that is in the past. Thanks to a little place called Discount Tires I will never have to do any of the above ever, ever again. Today, I saw their sign inviting drivers to pull in for a free, 3 minute tire check and decided to give it a try. They’ve got this exceedingly cool machine that checks the pressure AND puts the right amount of air in at the same time. The smiling mechanic took care of all four tires in less time than it takes me to take off the stem cap and told me to come back as often as I like. I never left the comfort of the driver’s seat and the whole thing didn’t cost me a dime. (Although my daughter chastised me for not tipping him. Next time he gets double).

He said I could come every day if I wanted to. I wonder if he has a brother that unloads dishwashers.

No comments:

Post a Comment