Monday, September 10, 2012

For Love or Money

In my never-ending quest to find a way to make money from my incessant need to hear myself talk, I’m trying something new. While I really enjoy writing these blogs and appreciate the discipline I’ve had to develop to produce them, I’m stepping out of my comfort zone and trying a completely different style of writing.

I’m auditioning for a freelance gig that would require me to write two to three minute scripts that would accompany educational videos. Not only do I have to write the narration, I have to come up with suggestions for visual images that would go along with what I have written. In other words, I have to be intelligent, clever, creative and relevant. Oh, and did I mention, I have to be funny.

When I went on the website, I was amazed at the content. Where was this treasure chest when my son was struggling with Of Mice and Men? Where was this digital nerd when I needed help explaining algebraic problems to my kids? (Who am I kidding? Where was it to help explain them to me?) It’s called Shmoop and it’s fantastic; covering every subject from math to literature.

I took a quick look at the various subjects and testing aids offered and then headed for the literary section of the site. Every book a kid is likely to read in junior high and high school has detailed summaries and theme and character analysis. And each is written with enough irreverence to engage even the most disinterested student. The videos, focusing on one aspect of a famous literary work like 1984 or To Kill a Mockingbird, are fast-paced, blink-and-you’ll-miss-something gems, filled with amusing observations and images designed to connect to video game-loving students (as well as their parents). If you have a kid in school (or even if you just want to understand what Atlas Shrugged was all about), you’ve got to check it out.

So, I’m going to give it a try. I’m going to pitch a couple of ideas and see where they land. I’m going to see if I can try something completely new. And I’m going to see if someone will pay me for doing something I love to do.

Isn’t that what this whole moving out of the motherhood is supposed to be about?

No comments:

Post a Comment